Cafe Justicia is many things:
- Cafe Justicia is a delicious organic “fair trade plus” coffee grown by Mayan communities on the volcanic slopes above Lake Atitlan in Guatemala.
- But Cafe Justicia is also a philosophy and practise of solidarity trade that builds cooperation between consumers and producers while ensuring that the producers are firmly in the driver’s seat, making the final decisions regarding pricing, distribution and marketing.
- Cafe Justicia is produced by cooperatives organized by the Campesino Committee of the Highlands (CCDA). Sales of the coffee not only support the families of cooperative members but also fund social development projects in surrounding communities and the CCDA’s broader struggle for social justice in Guatemala.
- Cafe Justicia is imported and roasted in Canada by BC CASA, a BC-based solidarity organization. All profits from sales in Canada are returned to the CCDA and other social justice organizations in Guatemala.
- Cafe Justicia is also a Canada-wide network of groups that support the CCDA and promote the Cafe Justicia philosophy.
Cafe Justicia Roasters’ Tour to Guatemala January, 2024. Cafe Justicia is organizing a nine-day tour to Guatemala January 13-24, 2024. For more information click below https://www.cafejusticia.ca/cafe-justicia-roasters-tour/
Follow our Facebook page for news and updates about coffee, the CCDA and human rights in Guatemala.
“Full body, nice citrus acidity with hints of chocolate and cinnamon.”— The Foggy Bean Coffee Co., Ucluelet, BC, describing Cafe Justicia
The following video introduces the coffee and the people who grow it.
Listen to an interview with Clif Prowse, co-director and producer of the “Looking for Justice” film (courtesy of Redeye and Rabble.ca).